Posts Tagged ‘mvp’

Howard vs. A-Roid

Monday, October 19th, 2009

I was listening to “Baseball This Morning” on XM while driving to work. They posted an online poll which asked who the postseason MVP should be at this point. The results weren’t all that surprising, given the world’s infatuation and lovefest with a juiced-up fraud known as one Alex Rodriguez (80% of the votes to A-Roid, the other 20% split between Howard and Lee). But let’s break down the numbers, folks…

PLAYER

AB

R

H

2B

3B

HR

RBI

SB

CS

BB

SO

BA

OBP

SLG

OPS

Ryan Howard

26

6

10

4

1

1

12

0

1

4

5

.385

.452

.731

1.182

Alex Rodriguez

19

5

7

0

0

3

8

0

0

2

3

.368

.409

.842

1.251

AB’s – Obviously, Howard has a few more than A-Roid since the NLCS has gone one game further than the ALCS. It’s interesting to note that the Yankees had off on Sunday and play the early game on Monday. Why? To avoid having to contend with any NFL games on television.

RUNS – Slight edge to Howard.

HITS – Edge to Howard.

2B’s and 3B’s – Huge edge to Howard.

HR’s – Edge to A-Roid. But given the discrepancy in the number of other extra base hits, it could be an indication that Howard’s situational hitting is much better. You don’t have to swing for the fences all the time. A 2-run double (or single or triple) is much better than a solo shot into the crowd. It’s also worth noting that 2 of the 3 homers that Rodriguez has hit have come in the homerun-friendly confines of Yankee Stadium. On the other hand, Howard’s lone homerun did not take place at Citizens Bank Park, which is also very hitter-friendly, but rather at the wide open spaces of Chavez Ravine.

RBI’s – Howard leads the entire postseason with 12, and has had at least 1 in every game so far. Enough said.

SB’s and CS’s – Neither guy is known for his speed on the base paths. But at least Howard had the testicular fortitude to try to steal a base.

BB/SO – About what you would expect from both of them. Teams will pitch around them, so they’re going to get on base on balls. And we all know Howard is prone to the strikeout, but he’s much improved in the area of plate discipline. A-Roid is pretty patient at the plate, as well, and very good even when down in the count.

BA – Edge to Howard. Now, I was trying to figure out where to bring up the topic of “clutch hitting,” and it might as well be here. Everyone is going to argue that A-Roid came up with big hits and big homeruns in clutch situations so far this postseason. True. And I understand that the long ball in late innings makes it that much more exciting. A-Roid’s BA with RISP in October is a whopping .600. Do you know what Howard’s is? Yep, it’s .600. Let’s delve further into this: A-Roid’s BA with RISP and 2 outs is, again, .600. Care to know what Howard’s is? A perfect 1.000. Remember the top of the 9th in game 4 of the NLDS? “Get me to the plate, boys.” Gotta give the edge to Howard, even in the area of clutch hitting.

OBP, SLG, and OPS – Slightly better OBP for Howard with the higher BA and number of walks. A-Roid has the edge in SLG and OPS, based on his higher number of homers and fewer AB’s.

OVERALL EDGE: Howard