Self care is often seen as a feminine concept, something that women do to pamper themselves and feel good. But self care is not just about spa days, candles, and bubble baths. It’s about taking care of your physical, mental, and emotional well-being, and that’s something that men need too.
Men face a lot of pressure and stress in their daily lives, whether it’s from work, family, society, or their own expectations. They are taught to be strong, stoic, and independent, and to hide their feelings and vulnerabilities. They are often discouraged from seeking help or support when they need it, and they may feel ashamed or guilty for having problems or emotions.
This can take a toll on their health and happiness, and lead to serious issues such as depression, anxiety, substance abuse, chronic pain, heart disease, and suicide. According to the World Health Organization, men have a higher mortality rate than women for most of the leading causes of death, and they are more likely to die by suicide than women in almost every country.
That’s why self care is equally important for men as it is for women. Self care is not selfish or weak; it’s smart and healthy. It’s about recognizing your needs and taking steps to meet them. It’s about respecting yourself and your limits, and being kind to yourself. It’s about finding balance and joy in your life, and being the best version of yourself.
How to Practice Self Care as a Man
There is no one right way to practice self care; it depends on your personality, preferences, and situation. But here are some general tips that can help you get started:
- Take care of your body. Eat well, drink enough water, exercise regularly, get enough sleep, and avoid smoking, alcohol, and drugs. These are the basics of physical health, and they can also improve your mood, energy, and confidence.
- Take care of your mind. Find ways to relax and cope with stress, such as meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, hobbies, music, or reading. Learn to manage your thoughts and emotions, and challenge negative or irrational beliefs. Seek professional help if you are struggling with mental health issues or trauma.
- Take care of your relationships. Spend time with people who make you happy and support you, such as family, friends, partners, or mentors. Express your feelings and needs honestly and respectfully, and listen to others with empathy and compassion. Seek out positive role models and mentors who can inspire you and guide you.
- Take care of your soul. Find meaning and purpose in your life, whether it’s through your work, hobbies, passions, or spirituality. Pursue your goals and dreams, and celebrate your achievements. Be grateful for what you have, and give back to others who need it.
- Take care of yourself. Treat yourself with kindness and respect, and don’t be too hard on yourself. Recognize your strengths and talents, and appreciate yourself for who you are. Reward yourself for your efforts, and enjoy the things that make you happy.
Man Matters: A Platform for Men’s Self Care
If you are looking for a way to start or improve your self care journey as a man, you may want to check out Man Matters, a platform that aims to change the way men think about their well-being.
Man Matters offers a range of products and services that cater to men’s specific needs and challenges in terms of hair care, skin care, sexual wellness, weight management, mental health, and more.
Man Matters is bringing in a change by talking about men’s self care as well as mental health. Get Man Matters trial products on Smytten, a platform that lets you discover new products by trying them before buying them.
Self care is not a luxury or a fad; it’s a necessity for everyone. Men deserve to take care of themselves as much as women do, without feeling guilty or ashamed.
By practicing self care regularly, you can improve your health, happiness, productivity, creativity, relationships, and overall quality of life.
So don’t wait any longer; start taking care of yourself today! You are worth it!